If you have not cashed or deposited your paycheck, that means the money is still in your employers’ account. However, your employer is not allowed to keep the money. So where does it go? Depending on which state you live in, employers must send your uncashed paychecks to the state government’s unclaimed assets department between 1 and 5 years after the check was made out to you. So, the first step to receiving your unclaimed paycheck is to look up what your state laws are.

If it has been less than the allotted time employers have to send the money to the government, you should reach out to your employer and inquire directly about how to receive a new check. However, sometimes employers will send the money to the government before the time is up. So, even if it has not been 5 years, you can still search your government site to see if the money is already waiting for you there. 

Convinced You Never Received Your Last Paycheck? Here’s Where To Search for Unclaimed Money For Free

Searching your state government’s unclaimed assets website is the best way to find out whether they are holding your unclaimed money. By doing a search, if your name comes up in the results, it means that the government is waiting for you to file a claim. Sometimes, however, government websites are not the most up-to-date. So, if you do a search on your government website and your name does not appear, it could be worth it to use a third-party search service. 

By using a third-party unclaimed assets search engine, you may be able to find more up-to-date information. If your name still does not appear in the free search result, you can always use other third party websites that require a small fee to do the in-depth search for you. These fees are typically called finders fees

However, there are plenty of free third-party databases available to conduct your searches on. 

Once you have found your name in the unclaimed assets database, it’s time to claim your uncashed payroll money from your state department holdings. So, the next step is to file your claim and begin the claims process with your state government. 

To do this, you’ll need to file and submit some paperwork, as well as provide personal documentation and identification so that the government can verify that they will be sending the funds to the rightful owner. Easy! 

Next, learn exactly how the process works to claim your lost or missing money. 

By Admin