Once you find out you have money owed to you, you want to get it as soon as possible. You will need to complete claim paperwork to receive the funds.The paperwork will need personal information about you or the deceased individual you are working on behalf of. You may also need to supply supporting documentation to the court to illustrate that the funds are legally yours.

You may file on your own, or you may use the services of a bankruptcy lawyer. An attorney can tell you exactly which paperwork you need to submit to make a claim. He or she may also file on your behalf.

Unclaimed Bankruptcy Fund Process
Back 3 of 3

You can find the claim form on the U.S. Courts website.

Additional documents you may need include the following:

  • A valid, state-issued driver’s license
  • A valid, state-issued identification card
  • A valid passport 
  • If you are a U.S. citizen, you will need to complete Form AO 213: Vendor Information / TIN Certification
    • If you do not have a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN), then you may complete Form W-9: Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification through the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website. 
  • If you are a foreign claimant, you will need to complete a W-8 Certification Form, which can be obtained on the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website. 

If you are filing on behalf of someone else, you will need to show additional documentation.

These documents may include proof that you represent the deceased or that funds should transfer to you.

If your name has changed, then you will also need to show proof of name change.

Likewise, your signature will need to be notarized. 

Back 3 of 3

By Admin