Getting free help with filing your taxes through VITA is a good option for getting your taxes done at no cost. You can trust that VITA volunteers know what they are doing because they must take tax law training lessons that meet IRS standards. In addition to demonstrating their knowledge of tax laws by passing an IRS course, volunteers must also agree to keep all taxpayer information confidential.
Before you travel to a previous VITA site to receive help with your taxes, make sure to use the VITA Locator on the IRS website to search for open locations. You should also try to call your chosen site to double check that you meet their requirements to receive free tax assistance and to see if there is an option to save time by making an appointment.
Generally, to use VITA to help you file your taxes you must meet one of the requirements:
- You must make less than $60,000 a year in income
- You must have a disability
- You are a taxpayer and your first language is not English
If you are unable to locate in-person help through VITA, you can go online to use Free File to seek tax guidance and fill out your tax returns for free.
Here are the materials you will need to gather before you are ready to fill out your tax forms:
- Income statements, such as W2s or 1099s
- Any income adjustments
- Your current filing status
- Dependent information, if applicable
You will also need to enter the below information:
- Your Adjusted Gross Income
- Your Age
- Whether you qualify for an earned income tax credit
- Your military status
- Your state of residence
Discover more options for free tax software.
By Admin –