If you reside in any of the states that don’t grant stimulus payments now and are in need of financial assistance, there are a few government programs that may be able to help.

The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program provides monthly checks to help households pay for their expenses, while the Veteran Affairs Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (VA DIC) provides cash assistance for military households. Learn more about these programs and how you can qualify below.

Need Cash Assistance? These Programs May Help
cash assistance

Get Cash Assistance with TANF

The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, or TANF, provides cash benefits to low-income families that are struggling financially. In order to qualify for TANF, households must:

  • Live in the state where you are applying for assistance.
  • Be a U.S. citizen, legal alien or qualified alien.
  • Meet the requirements in terms of income and resources, which can vary depending on the state you live in.

Your household must also meet the following requirements as well:

  • Have a pregnant member.
  • Have a dependent child of 18 years of age or younger.
  • The head of the household is under 18.

The household might also have to meet additional state guidelines. The amount of money you can receive will depend on the size of your household, monthly income and expenses. If you want to apply for TANF, contact your local office

Once you apply, you will be assigned a caseworker and will need to complete an interview. You may be required to provide additional documentation such as proof of income or a valid form of identification

If you are accepted, you will need to meet the program requirements to continue to receive assistance. You might also need to meet additional requirements, such as work training or getting a job.

Keep in mind that, as the name of the program suggests, you will only be able to receive assistance for a specific period of time. 

VA DIC May Provide the Help You Need

The Veteran Affairs Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (VA DIC) program provides monthly assistance to surviving spouses and dependents of deceased military personnel that meet the requirements. 

In order to qualify, the veteran or service member must have died on active duty or active duty for training, from a service-connected injury or illness, or while he or she was already receiving compensation from the VA due to a service-connected totally disabling condition. 

If the veteran or service member met the third criterion, then he or she must also meet additional conditions in order to qualify for VA DIC.

If you are applying as a surviving spouse, you must have lived with your spouse until his or her death and if separated, you must have not been at fault for the separation. You also must have been married for at least one year, have at least one child together, or married for at least 15 years before qualifying for disability due to an injury or illness. 

The 2023 VA DIC rate, effective as of December 2022, is $1,562.74 per month. You might qualify to receive additional aid if you are disabled yourself and need assistance to move around, if you are housebound due to that or if you have children under 18.

To apply for cash assistance benefits, you can do so online through the VA website.

Next Slide: How to Get Food Assistance

By Admin

Updated on 03/16/2023